Recreational Paddling Program
Kihei Canoe Club is probably the only outrigger canoe racing club in Hawaii with a significant percentage of members interested primarily in recreational paddling. Most clubs focus on seasonal racing. KCC's recreational paddling program welcomes, trains and supports any Maui full to part time resident, even those who have never put a paddle in the water. KCC provides scheduled recreational paddling six days a week, twelve months a year. Participants include adult men and women of all ages and physical condition. Each participant must be able to swim, be capable of engaging in moderate exercise and be able to get in and out of the canoe without assistance. Recreational paddling is a low-impact aerobic exercise. Paddlers are taught that each person controls the amount of effort applied and can therefore pace themselves according to individual needs and desires.
Kihei Canoe Club members may participate in
- Scheduled recreational paddling on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Please be at the club between 6:30am - 6:45am. Canoes depart the beach at 7:00am and return between 8:00am - 8:30am, depending on conditions and crew mix. Typical recreational paddles will be 3 to 8 miles in length.
- Wednesday recreational paddles offer optional training on a variety of topics.
- Friday recreational paddles usually are a longer distance - typically from the club to Maalaea harbor or Cove Park.
- Sunday paddles are casual and often have snorkeling at some of the reefs and wrecks near the club.
- Longer paddling events, usually combined with snorkeling, are scheduled monthly depending on other events. Check the club Calendar and News for dates and times.
- In addition to the above days, recreational paddles with members and guests/visitors are held on Tuesday and Thursday. Plan to be at the club at 7:30am and return around 9:00am. See the Visitors link for more information on these days.
Maui Canoe Club: Free Outrigger Canoe Outing for Food
Sailing Outrigger Canoe. Maui Canoe Club. 12-13-12
Maui Canoe Club Live Life Dedication
Share this Post