|The 59th Annual Marathon will be on Sunday, May 22, 2016
||Cost: $22.00 Online Registration is Open!
Application & Waiver: More Info
Additional Cost Extras: T-Shirt
Registration Deadline: Saturday, May 14, 2016
Late Registration Fee: $30.00
The Des Plaines River Canoe and Kayak Marathon, founded in 1958 by Ralph Frese, is the second oldest continual canoe race in the United States. The race is 18½ miles on the beautiful and historic Des Plaines River. There are numerous classes to accommodate people of all ages and levels, with a new 5.25 mile Minithon option possible for non-competitors seeking a shorter course that ends at the customary Finish Line. Note that while, as in the past, Marathon paddlers may still take out at the halfway point at Rivershire Park in Lincolnshire, you must now arrange your own car shuttle to or from this site! Everyone is welcome to participate. First time participants, repeat paddlers, and serious competitors can all enjoy the excitement, challenge, and camaraderie that this historic event provides.
More information can be found about the Des Plaines River Canoe and Kayak Marathon in the sections to the left.
- Application & Registration - Everything you need to know about registering for the race.
- Rules & Regulations - Information about the rules and regulations of the race.
- Race Classes - Numerous racing classes to accommodate people of all ages and levels.
- The Course - Includes a map of the course and details of where to start, finish, portage, and spectate.
- Parking Information - Information about parking for both racers and spectators.
- Special Discount Hotel Rate - Information about a great deal exclusive to racers and supporters of the Des Plaines River Canoe & Kayak Marathon.
- Race History - The history of the second oldest continual canoe race in the United States.
- Past Years - Reviews and details of past years' races.
- Ralph Frese - Founder - An essay written by race founder, Ralph Frese, in 2000 recollecting his experiences in the early days of the race.
- Canoe Rentals - One and two day canoe rentals for race day and other times of the year, too.
- Racing Tips - Tips and pointers for racing and canoing in general.
- Volunteers - There are many volunteer positions available for both racers and non-racers.